Be part of the European BFA training tour in February 2022!
What is Battlefield Acupuncture?
This ear (auricular) acupuncture protocol was developed by Dr Richard C. Niemtzow in 2001. He is a retired Air Force colonel and was the first full-time physician acupuncturist in the Armed Forces.
He originally conceived this technique as a way to deliver pain relief through acupuncture as quickly and efficiently as possible in combat and other military situations. It is growing in popularity in both military and civilian medical settings internationally.
This unique technique uses semi-permanent ASP® needles to activate ear points in order to influence the processing of pain in the central nervous system. According to Dr Niemtzow, pain relief can be immediate and hold for a longer stimulation. It can also be used in case of anxiety and insomnia.
A solution to reduce opioid consumption
BFA was recognized in 2019 as a solution to fight the opioid crisis by the Association of American Medical Colleges and presented in the documentary Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare in 2012.
In this excerpt you can see the insertion of ASP® needles at 4.26:
Click on the dates below to access the dedicated registration form:
- 18th and 19th of February 2022: Lyon – France
- 25th and 26th of February 2022: Copenhagen – Denmark with the support of Ny Energi and World Medicine
- 5th and 6th of March 2022: Bristol – UK with the support of the College of Auricular Acupuncture
- 26th and 27th of March 2022: Barcelona – Spain (CANCELED)
Who can attend this training:
Therapists who attend this training should be allowed to use needles according to the laws in their country.
- Illusions of the Ear
- The history of Auriculotherapy
- Understand the history behind the BFA protocol
- Learn how to do the BFA Protocol and how to use it
- Effectively use ASP® needles and learn correct auricular insertion technique for BFA including: BFA point location
- Recognize Side Effect and Results of BFA
- Apply BFA in clinical practice successfully – know when to use the protocol
- Learn Advanced BFA – how and when to utilize it
- Pairing of Needles
- Clustering of Needles
- Proper use of needles and correct auricular insertion
- Incorporating Nogier’s Phases
- Clinical Pearls: Piezo Pen, PTSD protocol
- Contraindications and Outcomes of ABFA
- Apply ABFA and Auriculotherapy protocols into clinical practice successfully
Some studies and articles on BFA:
- Military medicine makes room for Eastern medicine practices
- Acupuncture before surgery means less pain significantly fewer opioids for veterans
- Battlefield Acupuncture and physical therapy versus physical therapy alone after shoulder surgery
- Battlefield Acupuncture shows promising results in alternative pain management downrange
- Battlefield Acupuncture: my story
- Battlefield Acupuncture: Yes it exists and the military is using it to fight troops pain